For many of us, shopping for paint is about as exciting as watching it dry. But that doesn’t mean getting great paint at a great price is any less important. And if you’re in the market for paint right now, you’ll be happy to know that overall consumer satisfaction with paint and paint suppliers is on the rise, according to consumer rating group JD Power.
When it comes to rating paint and the paint buying experience, consumers measure “success” six ways:
- Ease of application
- Selection (types, colors, etc.)
- Personalized help and guidance
- Warranty or guarantee
Starting a painting project? Here are three time- and money-saving tips when purchasing interior paint:
- Research paint brands beforehand and ask for recommendations from family and friends.
- Local retailers are experts you can tap for valuable information. Ask your local store for advice about the type of paint you should buy for your project, the tools you need, how to best apply the paint, and how much paint will be needed to cover the area you’re painting.
- As you consider price, keep in mind that purchasing high-quality paint will likely reduce the number of coats needed and therefore require fewer gallons. That could mean you’ll spend less overall. Also, buying paint that includes primer saves time and money.
According to JD Power, Benjamin Moore ranks highest in customer satisfaction with interior paint and performs particularly well in three of the above six factors: application, selection and durability. Next are Sherman-Williams, BEHR Paints and Dunn-Edwards.
One reason consumers are happier with paint these days is that more brands are offering paint that includes primer, which means less time and money to do the job. JD Power finds that satisfaction with the paint application process continues to be important, as 82 percent of local customers do the painting themselves.
On average, local customers buy four gallons of paint per project at about $30 per gallon. The combination of a helpful and knowledgeable retailer and high-quality, easy-to-apply paint should make your paint buying experience a success.