A wedding is a monumental occasion that takes a great deal of finesse to plan and carry out. Help your big day go smoothly by using this checklist to make sure no detail is missed in the hectic days as you plan your wedding.
1 week before the wedding
- Pack your honeymoon bags. Also ensure that all travel documents are on hand, such as your ticket, itinerary, hotel information and passport, if needed.
- Ensure that your dress fits well and have last-minute alterations done if you discover that something needs adjustment. Also, make your final decisions on your accessories and shoes.
- Check that all of your vendors, such as the florist and bakery, are on schedule to service your wedding. Pay them at this time so you don’t have to bother with payment on your wedding day. Get contact information for the vendors, such as cellphone numbers, and have the information readily accessible in case you need it on the wedding day. If you are using a wedding planner or day of coordinator, check with that person to make sure everything is on schedule.
- Review all printed materials. Make certain that any written information to be handed out on the wedding day is accurate, such as place cards, menus and programs.
3 to 4 days before the wedding
- Designate someone to oversee the gifts guests may bring to the reception. Give the person a key to your home so that he or she can drop the gifts off at your house after the wedding reception. This will mean you won’t have to track the presents down after you return from your honeymoon.
- Appoint someone to take care of your marriage license. Get a friend or relative to agree keep your marriage license secure once you and your new spouse have signed it. You wouldn’t want this important document lost during the festivities. Often, one of the witnesses is a good choice for this task.
- Check in with your photographer. Give your photographer a list of everyone you want photographed, which will ensure that he or she won’t miss anyone. Also, go over the projected photography schedule and share the plan with everyone in the wedding party.
Day before the wedding
- Prepare tip envelopes. Make the task of tipping the vendors easy on your wedding day by preparing and sealing marked envelopes containing the tip money.
- Plan your wedding breakfast. Avoid walking down the aisle on an empty stomach and the possibility of becoming lightheaded. While you may have good intentions when it comes to keeping yourself fed on your wedding day, it’s easily forgotten in the rush of excitement. If you are staying in a hotel the night before, preorder your food to arrive via room service.
- Pack a wedding day emergency kit. Plan for the inevitable snags that occur by packing items such as hairspray, makeup, extra pantyhose, stain remover, tissues, bobby pins and an umbrella.
- Enjoy the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. Your final dinner as a single person should be among the company of close friends and family. Take this opportunity to let these special people know how much they mean to you and make sure to thank them for their part in your wedding.
- Get some sleep! Ensure that you enjoy your wedding day and that you’re able to handle whatever comes your way by making sure to get a good night’s sleep.
Keep this checklist in mind when planning your wedding, and you’re sure to have a successful day that you’ll always remember.